You are here: Home / Columns / Topanga Tim's Survival Tips Carbon Monoxide
Topanga Tim's Survival Tips Carbon Monoxide
May 8, 2014 -
Red Rock Ruth is quite the researcher. She had read that the main cause of accidental poisoning in the United States is carbon monoxide. It is produced by malfunctioning devices that burn wood, coal, propane, or natural gas, to name a few. The tasteless, odorless, invisible gas can cause headaches, nausea, shortness of breath or, in severe cases, unconsciousness or death. Ruth is happy to note that former Gov. Schwarzenegger signed a bill to require single-family households to install carbon monoxide detectors by July 2011. All other residential units should have had the detectors by 2013. This should help eliminate 30 to 40 needless deaths each year in California.
Topanga Tim is brought to you by the Topanga Emergency Management Plan as a public service.